01 02 03 Bike Darlington: Another generation lost to car culture 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Another generation lost to car culture

34
A conversation my wife had with a mother at a child group:

Other mother: The traffic's terrible when I drive [child] to [Nursery X, 4 miles across town from home], so we've moved him to [Nursery Y, 2 miles from home (in a village outside town)]
Wife: Why not move [child] to [nursery Z, 0.7 miles from home]? We did that, so we could walk.
Other mother: Walk? I can't walk! I have things to do after dropping [child] off.


I'm afraid that this is what we (and the Local Motion campaign) are up against when trying to get people to consider alternatives to cars. The round trip walking to the closer nursery would take about 30 minutes, which wouldn't be too different to driving to the other nursery and back, but it just wasn't considered as an alternative. Another generation lost to car culture.

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38